At myMD we ultimately understand that when statistics don’t apply, people need to systematically track changes in their bodies and carefully implement changes in a scientific manner. We use medically-supervised self tracking projects to diagnose vexing problemfs, conduct personal experiments and improve treatment outcomes. We create a custom-designed treatment plan for each individual situation. Because we view healthcare as a process and not as a destination, we start by paying careful attention to the detailed narrative of each individual’s story and adapting our approach as their health situation changes.
What Conditions are Best Suited to Coaching?
We find that people who are very motivated to solve a medical problem or achieve a health goal do best with medically-supervised self tracking. Conditions and situations we can attempt to address in this manner include:
- Weight Loss and Reversing Diabetes
- Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis
- Implementing a Paleo, SCD or Ketogenic Diet Plan
- Pain Management
- Identifying Food Sensitivities
- Identifying Environmental Triggers of Symptoms
- Finding the Cause of Mystery Symptoms
- Optimizing an Athletic Training Regimen
- And Many Others
What to Expect
We often recommend starting with a 12-week program to allow for baseline data collection and then conducting personal experiments under our supervision. The process depends on each individual situation, but often includes some or all of the following elements:
- A comprehensive initial history and physical examination by Paul Grewal MD;
- Medical Nutrition Therapy evaluation with our Registered Dietitian when food is part of the tracking or treatment plan;
- Review of all available previous medical records and data;
- Additional medical diagnostic testing and evaluation if needed, looking for any potential correctable “root causes”;
- An intake with a Quant Coach to design an initial tracking program;
- Ongoing self tracking using a variety of custom sensors and apps.
- Weekly review of tracking data with your Quant Coach, and dynamic adjustment of the program;
- Interim review of labs and tracking data with the doctor and dietitian, to adjust your program;
- Ongoing accountability and motivation provided by the coaching process;
- Well-defined goals and milestones.
Mobile Self-Tracking Technology
We help our patients choose the best of available technology to carry out their self-tracking projects, some of which is not commercially available and is available only to coaching participants.
Predictable Costs for Laboratory Testing
Patients of My Doctor Medical Group can also benefit from our contracted pricing with national reference laboratories. Those without insurance, or with high deductibles, benefit from our low contracted lab costs that are transparent and known in advance of ordering the tests. This allows us to closely monitor markers of inflammation, lipid subtyping, neurotransmitters and other important measures of metabolic health. In many cases those with PPO insurance can have labs covered by their insurance with the reference lab, even though our medical practices is out of network for physician services.